Introduction to Sailing Program
Proposed Guidelines & Requirements for “Intro to Sailing Experience” Program
This process is intended to set guidelines and requirements for Learn to Sail Inc. (“L2S”) volunteers to provide an “Introduction to Sailing Experience” for friends, neighbors, relatives, associates, etc. who have expressed interest in sailing, sailing classes, volunteering or donating to the school. The goal is to promote the sport of sailing and Learn to Sail Inc.
Under this program, an L2S Volunteer will take a passenger(s) for a 1-2-hour sail aboard an appropriate L2S sailing dingy, while discussing sailing, the L2S School, Classes, Volunteering, donations, etc.
It is critical for insurance and liability purposes, as well as safety and professionalism that the following requirements are strictly adhered to. Failure to do so will result in a one-year suspension from this program. The L2S Officers may elect to issue a warning for a first violation of the policy. A second violation will result in an immediate one-year suspension.
1. The price will be $10 for the 1-2 hours of sailing
2. The L2S Volunteer must be an active Full Volunteer.
3. The L2S Volunteer must have current USCG approved certification for First Aid & CPR.
4. The L2S Volunteer must have read and signed this form.
5. The L2S Volunteer must check out the boat to be used in the dedicated application page for this purpose on the L2S Website
6. All persons aboard the sailboat must always wear a USCG approved PFD. NO EXCEPTIONS!!
7. A paddle and a VHF must be aboard. It is recommended a First Aid Kit is also brought if appropriate.
8. Adult Sailing Lessons will take priority over Intro to Sailing Experience.
9. Signed L2S waiver forms must be filed for each passenger.
10. The L2S Volunteer assumes financial responsibility for:
a. damages and loss to Learn to Sail Property.
b. rescue or salvage of the vessel, the Volunteer or the passengers.
11. The L2S earn to Sail Volunteer must return all L2S property in the same condition as found and adequately secured from damage and theft after use.
12. If there is a participant aboard less than 16 years old, an L2S Volunteer Shore Crew with radio must stand watch.
13. The sailing area is limited to an area defined by the Rt 41 Southbound bridge and a line between Colony Point on the south bank of the Peace River and Grassy Point on the north bank.
14. Only sailboats are to be used for the Introduction to Sailing Experience.
a. Under no circumstances are the Safety Boats included in this program nor are they to be used outside of classes or L2S approved events.
15. It is recommended that Passengers are allowed a maximum of two Intro to Sailing Experiences. After that, they should be encouraged to become volunteers or sign up for lessons to be on an L2S Sailboat.
By reserving a boat, I am stating that I have read, understood and agreed to all the above.